Thursday, November 4, 2010

Fifteen Favorite Films

As much of a book geek I am, I'm a movie geek as well.  I had a difficult time condensing my favorite films into a manageable list.  After much thought, I decided on fifteen films that I consider my forever favorites.  On a side note, I attempted to put these in order... "attempted" being the keyword.  Ahem.


15. Fast and Furious

Who doesn't like really fast cars?  Who doesn't like pretending they can drive at Mach 5?  Communists, that's who.  As far as the script and production goes, there really isn't anything super spectacular about this film.  Perhaps it's the cast that nailed an otherwise mediocre storyline, either way this film rocks my socks.  If for no other reason, I watch it because I love Michelle Rodriguez.  She's my favorite.    

Favorite Character:  Letty Ortiz (Michelle Rodriguez)

Best Quote(s):  "I said a ten second car, not a ten minute car... "
"If you can't find the tools you need in this garage, you don't belong near a car."


14. Where The Heart Is

Oh this movie.  It warms my heart, no pun intended.  I'm not really a huge Natalie Portman fan, but oh well.  The story here is just so darn endearing and by the end of it I always find myself thinking, can she just have a normal life now? Simply adorable.  

Favorite Character:  Moses Whitecotten (Keith David)

Best Quote(s):  "You tell them that our lives can change with every breath we take... and tell 'em to hold on like hell to what they've got: each other, and a mother who would die for them and almost did... You tell them we've all got meanness in us, but we've got goodness too. And the only thing worth living for is the good. And that's why we've got to make sure we pass it on. "


13.  Robin Hood (2010)

I just saw this and it's already on my list.  I must admit I was very skeptical at first.  I've always appreciated the classic Robin Hood story, but it's been done before.  Many times.  As I began watching this film, I tried to start piecing together the archetype.  I must say I was surprised when King Richard got bumped off and then Robin Loxley turned up in a French trench not too long after; kind of difficult having a Robin Hood story without Robin Hood or King Richard, right?  Well, Ridley Scott really came through.  I don't take this to replace the traditional Robin Hood story, rather I appreciate it in its own right.  It also didn't hurt that Cate Blanchett makes an amazing Marion; good Lord that woman can kick ass.  

Favorite Character:  Marion Loxley (Cate Blanchett)

Best Quote(s):

Marion: "Once before I said goodbye to a man going to war.  He never came back." 
Robin Longstride: "Ask me nicely." 

"Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions."


12.  National Treasure

A great combination of action, humor, and actual content.  I find it harder and harder to find films worth appreciating for both their acting and writing talents; this film is one of those I've found I can appreciate all around.  I'm also a total history geek.  

Favorite Character:  Riley Poole (Justin Bartha)

Best Quote(s):

"It means if something is wrong, those who have the ability to take action have the responsibility to take action."  

"It's a big blue guy with a long beard.  I'm guessing that's significant."  


11. The Jungle Book

I don't remember watching this one over and over and over again until the tape broke like I did with some of the other Disney classics.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly enjoyed this film as a child.  I just didn't fall madly in love with it like I did Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin.  No, I discovered my love for this film within five years or so ago.  I chose this, however, for the purposes herein because of just how much I have grown to adore it.  Apparently filmmakers back in the late 60s didn't have the same qualms of today's filmmakers about moral content because good grief this film is positively packed with Christian references.  In our politically correct world now, that simply wouldn't fly... but I digress.  
This is a solid film with a really great message and yet another testimony to the classic Disney's knack for producing engaging films that entertain both children and adults alike.  

Favorite Character:  Bagheera (Sebastian Cabot, voice)

Best Quote(s): 

"It's like this, little britches.  All you gotta do is... look for the bare necessities..."

"Now, now.  I know how you feel.  But you must remember, Mowgli.  Greater love hath no one than he who lays down his life for his friend.  Whenever great deeds are remembered in this jungle, one name will stand above all others: our friend, Baloo the bear."  


10. The Emperor's New Groove

Oh my.  I absolutely adore this film.  This is just a fun, endearing sort of film.  I love the wit behind many of the references and the characters are absolutely fabulous.  What a hoot.  

Favorite Character:  Kronk

Best Quote(s):  Everything Kronk says... For example...

"Oh, look. A golden-throated small-winged warbler. Just one more for exotic bird bingo. I am loving this!"


9.  Girlfight

Just for the record, Michelle Rodriguez happens to be my absolute favorite actress.  Ever.  She just freaking rocks.  That said, this movie kicks ass.  Because I'm a dork, I'd like to point out that this was Michelle's first film...she showed up to the audition on roller blades apparently.  And landed the role out of somewhere around three hundred other women.  I also appreciate this film on another level.  One of the main points of the story is about Michelle's character wanting to train to be a boxer; because it's a male dominated sport she faces a lot of obstacles from sexist old men to hardly any suitable opponents.  

I look up to strong female roles like this one.  I would consider myself a feminist in the truest sense that this "condition" of being a female doesn't mean we can't get our fingernails dirty.  Crazy idea, I know.  Michelle Rodriguez has really carried this torch in almost every aspect of her acting career.  I could really go on and on about just how much this woman embodies the idea that women can be both strong and feminine in their own right, but she said it better:




Back to the film, I find this relates to anyone who has ever felt like a misfit or has wanted more than what was in front of them.  

Favorite Character: Diana Guzman (Michelle Rodriguez)

Best Quote(s):  "You shouldn't hit people like that."  "I couldn't resist."  


8.  The Princess Bride

Who doesn't like this film?  Seriously?  The only thing that could make it better is if it omitted the chunks with bratty Fred Savage.  That kid really grinds my coffee beans.  Fortunately, the rest of the film more than makes up for that.  

Favorite Character:  Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin)

Best Quote(s): 

"... I do not think you would accept my help since I am only waiting around to kill you."  "That does put a damper on our relationship."

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.  You killed my father, prepare to die."


7. Behind Enemy Lines

A fun little factoid about this film is the aircraft carrier it was filmed on, CVN-70 U.S.S. Carl Vinson.  It was the carrier my dad was deployed on in the first Gulf War.  True story.  

That aside, this film makes me want to kick a door down.  I love the raw story here.  I love it so much I forget that Owen Wilson and his crooked nose is the hero.  I think I can forgive him.  While I'm at it, I'll overlook the not-so-politically-correct aspect of the film.  Yes it's a war movie.  Yes it's from the point of view of the U.S.  Yes there's probably going to be someone who will get their panties in a bunch over it. Do I care?  Nope.  It really is a great film.  

Favorite Character:  ADM Leslie Reigart (Gene Hackman)

Best Quote(s):  Pardon the language, these are sailors after all...

"A Navy Pilot could have saved Ritchie Valens from being a one hit wonder."

"Holy shit! We're being painted!"

"Shit they fired, scoop it!"

"You still have your boots, don't you cowboy?" "Roger.  They were tied on."


6.  The Lord of the Rings trilogy

This series literally consumed my life for my three years of middle school.  The first film was released when I was in the sixth grade (way to age myself, I realize) and the second in seventh and so forth.  I obsessed over Legolas.  I memorized the extended editions.  I reenacted the story with action figures.  I wrote fan fiction.  Hook, line, sinker.  This series will always hold a special place in my heart.  

Favorite Character:  tie between Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen)

Best Quote(s):

"In the common tongue it reads "One Ring to Rule Them All. One Ring to Find Them. One Ring to Bring Them All and In The Darkness Bind Them." 

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it."


5. Sophie Scholl: The Final Days

One of my various geek obsessions has been for a very long time the Holocaust.  I've been called morbid before.  Consider my major, however, and I find this moot.  I've just always been keenly interested in its every facet.  This film has got to be one of my favorites on the subject.  The White Rose was an underground resistance movement in Berlin, Germany during WWII.  The brother and sister who led the group as well as at least one other member were ultimately guillotined after being sentenced to death for resistance activities.  What amazes me so much about this story is Sophie Scholl's faith through her final days before her execution.  It's absolutely beautiful. 

Favorite Character:  Sophie Scholl

Best Quote(s): 

"Trucks came to pick up the children at the mental hospital. The other children asked where they were going. "They're going to heaven," said the nurses. So the children got on the truck singing. You think I wasn't raised right, because I felt pity for them?"

"You may hang us today but you'll be hanged tomorrow."

"Don't forget, Sophie. Jesus."  "Yes, mother, but you neither."  

"The sun is still shining."


4. Braveheart

It's become a sort of a tradition to watch this film every time I visit the family Fort (aka the blue house) in New York.  I love the beauty and the power of this film.  

Favorite Character:  Stephen (David O'Hara), aka Crazy Steve in my family

Best Quote(s):

"All men die, only some men truly live."

"They're sayin' goodbye in their own way, playin' outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes."

"FREEDOM"


3. The Star Wars (original) trilogy

I can't help it, it's ingrained in me.  I grew up on Star Wars.  Love it.  

Favorite Character:  Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill)

Best Quote(s):  

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

"I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you."  "You're who?"


2.  The Mummy, 1 and 2

Coming in extremely close to first, I adore these movies.  Plain and simple.  Acting, check.  Writing, check.  Mummy face in the sand/water, check check.  I would like to underscore however that I speak of the first two movies.  In my opinion there is no third Mummy movie.  That and The Last Airbender just happen to be the worst two movies ever made, in my opinion. *shiver*

Favorite Character:  Ardeth Bay (Oded Fehr)

Best Quote(s):

"Patience is a virtue!" "Not right now it isn't!"

"My darling girl, when Ramses destroyed Syria, that was an accident. You are a catastrophe!"

"Hey O'Connell! Looks to me like I've got all the horses!" "Hey Beni! Looks to me like you're on the wrong side of the river!"


1. The Last of the Mohicans

This film is my absolute number one.  It alone coined the phrase "heart, puddle, floor."  I can't put into words how much I love this film.  It's a long one and it can get a little tedious at times, but I don't care.  I love the action in it.  I also love that there's an adorable romance story in it, but that's not the main focus. For some reason it seems more realistic that way.  Marvelous.  

Favorite Character:  Nathaniel (Daniel Day-Lewis)

Best Quote(s): 

"You be strong, you survive... You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you."

To bring this all to a close, enter one of my favorite (favorite) scenes.  Just a warning, there is a graphic nature to this.  My favorite part begins around 5:40, for the record.  



Signed,
RF

No comments:

Post a Comment