Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Give Thanks Day 21: The Finale

Today I am thankful for the bountiful blessings that fill my life.  Now, I am writing this much later than the actual day before Thanksgiving (practically a week later, to be truthful) namely because I am terrible at daily post series.  Lesson learned.  The only reason I even mentioned that little factoid is a Tweet I came across the other day.  While I could have faked psychic abilities and explained how I saw through my inner eye, past the veil and into the future to pluck this Tweet off my feed, I didn't.  This Tweet pretty much sums my feelings up:  
"Each year 2,184,000 people die from lack of clean water, 90% of these deaths are kids under five. our problems really are minimal."
I can not take credit for this Tweet.  I am ashamed to say that I was complaining about some ignat in a Yukon who nearly pancaked me on the highway that day while other people were being more productive with their social media.  Nevertheless, what a way to put things in perspective.  This reminds me of the miniature earth model.





The fact that I am a Caucasian, American, Christian, female, who attends college puts me in a minuscule percentage of the World's population.  There is a world of people beyond my socio-economic class and they make up the majority, not me.  How sobering.


As tomorrow (work with me and let me pretend I'm actually writing this the same day the post is on) kicks off the "holiday season" I want to wrap up my Give Thanks series with a big old warm and fuzzy appreciation for all of the blessings in my life.  I am guilty of being self-centered and self-pitying, but I know that I have been given an immense blessing just by being me.  I don't want to take this for granted. Moving forward, I want to spend less time worrying about the things that don't matter and more time appreciating what I have: an amazing system of friends and family, amazing opportunities right at my finger tips, and altogether a safe, enriched environment.


So there it is, 21 days of Giving Thanks.  I affirm what I wrote on my kick-off post for this series:
We should really be thankful at all times for what we are blessed with, not just at special occasions.  The twice a year thankful heart doesn't make for a happy person, if you ask me.  No, I just really feel like I want to do this.  No implications attached.

With that being said, here's to giving thanks.  Here's to staying focused on what really matters.  Here's to being thankful for all the blessings that life has to offer.  They're the stuff that make life worth living. 
Hear hear!  A very blessed Christmas season to you and yours.  


Cheers,


RF

No comments:

Post a Comment