Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Give Thanks Day 13: My Church

Today I am thankful for my church.  Over the years it's been a very important part of my life.  I've been a member of the Lutheran church since I was baptized when I was 7.  Interesting factoid, not only do my brother and I have the same birthday we also have the same baptism day (is it bad that I don't remember when it is though? I fail).  Anyways, I've essentially grown up with this church.  I have fond memories of Confirmation in 7th and 8th grade.  There was a t-ping incident that I may or may not have been involved in at one of the Confirmation camps... Ahem.  I also participated in mission trips over the years, from Mexico to East St. Louis to various Habitat for Humanity projects.

It's the people at my church that makes it a special place.  We have a pair of amazing pastors, a strong pastoral staff, and truly wonderful laypeople.  We're especially close to our family group, as I talked about on Sunday, but there are so many faces that I love to see on Sundays.  They're the people who were in Confirmation with me or helped lead and support it, the people who went on those mission trips, whether in the U.S. or abroad, they're the people who I went to school with and looked up to over the years.

My church is a place I feel connected to.  I feel like I belong there.  There have been changes over the years, sure, that I haven't always been a fan of.  But overall, it is still a place for God's people.  It's still the place I've known for so long and love so much.

9 Days to Thanksgiving!

Signed,

RF

No comments:

Post a Comment