Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Give Thanks Day 6: My Grandpa E


Today I'm thankful for my angel Grandpa E.  I love him and miss him dearly.  I look up to him and am so proud to call him my Grandpa.  

It's been a little over four months since my Grandpa left us.  He'd been sick off and on over the past couple of years, yes, but I never expected my phone conversation with him the Wednesday of the week we were due to drive up to celebrate his 76th birthday and the 4th of July to be my last.  I wish I could remember every detail of that phone call.  I do recall that I wished him a happy birthday and he laughed his deep, rattling laugh that started somewhere in his stomach.  We talked about how I was sure that I wanted to join the Navy after I finish my Bachelor's degree.  He sounded happy.  I also told him that I was thinking about getting a motorcycle.  That prompted another deep laugh.  We bid goodbye, I told him I love him and he said, "you too, kiddo."  

We got a phone call about eight hours into our drive to New York that weekend.  I was driving.  My mom was in the backseat with my brother.  I had a feeling that something was wrong; I turned down my music and watched my mom's expression turn into shock in the rear view mirror.  All she told me was to get off at the next exit.  She waited until we were parked in the back of a Burger King parking lot to tell us that Grandpa had died sometime the previous night in his sleep.  In a word, we were devastated.  The remainder of the drive was nothing short of misery.  We cried a lot.  We switched drivers often, to accommodate for the vision problems associated with the crying.  

My Grandpa left us too soon.  We had plans to go on a family trip to Ireland, to visit where his family came from.  He was looking forward to coming to see us this fall when my brother got his Eagle Award.  My brother's high school graduation is coming up, and my college graduation shortly thereafter.  I wanted him present for my commissioning into the Navy.  

This Christmas is going to be a difficult one.  There's a big hole in our family.  In a way, despite the sadness, I'm still thankful.  I'm thankful that we all have such fond memories of my Grandpa, that he left us with such a hole because that shows how amazing of a person he was.  I'll always remember him and his deep, infectious laugh.  I know he'll be watching at my brother's Eagle Ceremony and his graduation.  I know he'll be watching when I graduate from college and get commissioned into the Navy.  I know he's with all of us, and we'll see him again someday.  

In my Grandpa's words, let's put eggs in our shoes and beat it!

16 Days to Thanksgiving.

Signed,
RF





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa! I know he's proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete