Friday, November 5, 2010

Give Thanks Day 2: Lakota

Today I am thankful for my dear friend Lakota.  I love how we're brain twins, even when we live two states away. 

Lakota and I met in our freshman year of high school.  I had just transferred from public to private school.  Logically, the gap between middle and high school was a perfect time for the transition.  Right?  Wrong.  It was awful.  I didn't know anyone.  No joke, I spent at least the first week hiding in the bathroom at lunch to avoid the sitting situation.  In such a small school, not only did I not know anyone and thus have no one to sit with I couldn't even sit alone.  I had to sit with other people, there wasn't enough space to sit alone.  This prompted a whole slew of awkward situations for me.  Everyone seemed to already know each other. Well, they did.  They'd all practically been together since they popped out of the womb.  Suffice it to say, it was a difficult transition.

At some point in the first two weeks of high school there was a pep rally and each class had to sit in their designated sections.  Earlier that day, in a communication class, there was a girl who I noticed and instantly admired.  She was petite, had very dark hair, and even darker eyes.  She was wearing a blouse I can only describe as a "cow girl" blouse.  All I remember about what we were talking about in class was that this girl said she was part Indian.  I was fascinated, her dark features seemed to confirm this story.  When I asked what tribe, her answer forever earned her nickname: Lakota Sioux.  Then she noticed that I had a picture of Orlando Bloom on my binder.  I doubt I need to elaborate further.  

When the bell rang and it was time to go to the pep rally, I was nervous again.  I decided right then and there that I hated pep assemblies.  Twice in one day this seating conundrum?  Really?   I once again didn't know who to sit with, and hiding in the bathroom wasn't a feasible option.  So I followed Lakota. 

I kept thinking, she seems nice maybe she'll let me sit with her.  As we crossed the gymnasium, she turned and asked with curiosity, "Aren't the juniors sitting over there?" 
I just happen to be a rather tall individual which explains Lakota's confusion.  I was a freaking tall freshman.  Once my class identity was established, I joined Lakota with a group of girls she seemed to know.  I don't remember what that assembly was about.  I just remember feeling much more at ease with my new school.  

Well the Native American/Orlando Bloom conversation happened a good seven or so years ago now.  I can't even begin to describe all that has transpired between us since.  I doubt we could be any more alike yet different at the same time.  In short, it's been a blast and I'm thankful for every minute of it.  

Interestingly enough, with my two closest friends I also feel close with their families.  I guess I have multiple sets of parents.  Lakota, her parents, and I have gone on multiple shooting range adventures.  When I wanted to learn to shoot a gun better and my own father was either too busy or not around to take me, Lakota's dad stepped in.  Lakota's parents even got me my own gun cleaning kit this year for my birthday; it's beautiful and I use it every time after I go shooting.  I'm eternally grateful for Lakota's family's love and kindness towards me.  

Speaking of my birthday,  this past year, Belle and Lakota threw me a surprise birthday party.  Boy was I surprised!  Easily one of my most memorable b-days.  

The way I see it, blood isn't the only kind of family.  A part of my family is my closest friends.  I'm so grateful for them, the beauty and happiness they bring to my life.  

Cheers!  20 Days to Thanksgiving! 

Signed,

RF

No comments:

Post a Comment