Friday, November 12, 2010

Give Thanks Day 9: Karate

Today I am thankful for the karate school I attend.  I walk out of there on regular basis sweaty, stinky, and just plain not fun to look at.  It's great.

For security reasons, I'm not naming any names, but part of what makes this particular karate school so wonderful is the amazing people.  Seriously, these people are awesome.  I love them.  I love the feeling of being a "family."  In a way, we are.  I love spending time with the other students and the instructors.  There is a wide range in our ages, ability levels, and interests, but we all have karate in common.  We also respect immensely our Sensei.  I honestly can't think of a person who I have more respect for, and I feel fairly confident that I'm not alone in this.

I know I haven't even begun to understand karate.  I know I have tons of work to do.  I know that there's always something to do better, always something to learn.  In a way, I love that open book concept.  You never stop learning in life, and karate is the same way.  I can't imagine my life without it.  I've had concerns as I consider what lies ahead of me after I graduate from college.  Most of my extended family lives in the Northeastern part of the country.  I do believe my mother and brother also intend to migrate that way at some point in the near future.  I don't know where I'm going to be in five years, but I sincerely hope that I can keep training at this school.  I know of a family who recently moved away from the area and they've had a really difficult time finding a new karate school.  This one is truly one of a kind.  It's the people, especially our Sensei, who makes it that way. 

13 Days to Thanksgiving!

Signed,

RF

No comments:

Post a Comment