Monday, November 22, 2010

Give Thanks Day 19: Women Who Kick(ed) Butt

I look up to strong people who aren't afraid to be who they, or do so in spite of their fear as the case may often be.  As a woman, I can't help that I especially look up to other women who accomplish this.  The archaic notion that women are to be completely subservient to men is bull shit, pardon the language.  If my only purpose in life is to pleasure men and make babies, then I would be a uterus with legs.  That's it.  I wouldn't have a heart or a brain.  Alas, I have both.


Today I am thankful for women who stand up for what they believe in.  I am thankful for women, like these who, in spite of adverse and often hostile situations, did not back down from what they believed.  These women lost their lives in the process. 


Woman Who Kicked Butt: Minerva Mirabal


Patria, Dedé, and Minerva Mirabal
Until recently, I had never heard of the Mirabal sisters, a.k.a. "Los Mariposas" or the Butterflies from the Dominican Republic.  Patria, Dedé, Minerva, and Maté Maribal opposed Rafael Trujillo, a despotic dictator who ruled the DR from 1931 until his assassination in 1960.  Minerva was considered to be the leader of the sisters.  Three of the women, Minerva, Patria, and Maté were executed for their part in resisting Trujillo.  I really wish I could go on about them.  These women were amazing.  The surviving sister, Dedé, has dedicated her life to telling her sisters' story.  Michelle Rodriguez (whom I have not once mentioned...) starred in the recent film Trópico de Sangre which chronicled the lives of the Mirabal family and their resistance against Trujillo.  

While I highly recommend this film, I must warn that it is rated R and for good reason.  This is not one for family night, folks.  But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be seen.  





Woman Who Kicked Butt: Sophie Scholl


Sophie Scholl
Sophie and Hans Scholl, siblings, were leaders of the White Rose, a resistance group in Germany during WWII.  They opposed the Nazi regime and were eventually caught distributing anti-Nazi materials at the University of Munich.  They were convicted of high treason and sentenced to death.  Instead of being granted the 90 day period between conviction and execution as mandated by German law at the time, the Scholls and one of their comrades were only given a few hours.  All three were executed by guillotine on February 22, 1943.  


Sophie's final words were: "How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause. Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"


The film Sophie Scholl: The Final Days is also excellent, a must-see.  



There's 3 more days left until Thanksgiving.

Signed,

RF

No comments:

Post a Comment