Sunday, November 21, 2010

Give Thanks Day 18: BSA


Today I am thankful for the Boy Scouts of America.  This may come as no surprise as today happens to be a very important day in the life of one Boy Scout I am very close to.  My little brother, whom I often refer to as Tapeworm in these parts, had his Eagle Court of Honor today.  After all those years of merit badge and leadership work, of the past year of project planning and production, after everything he finally joined the Brotherhood of Eagle Scouts.  For those who may not be familiar with the Eagle Award, it is the Boy Scout's highest honor. The Eagle truly shows the dedication and character of the young man who earns it.

I am thankful for the Boy Scouts of America because of its history of strengthening and supporting young boys as they become young men and continue into adulthood.  I've seen my little brother grow from an awkward little boy with practically a speech impairment, to a handsome young man standing in front of at least a hundred people talking as naturally as can be.  I know the influence the fine leadership in his troop has had on him; he looks up to quite a few of his Boy Scout leaders.

It takes a village, or something along those lines, to raise a child.  So it's not just Boy Scouts who have shaped the young man my brother is today.  But I know for sure that it has had a huge impact on him.  I've seen the other boys who've left the troop when Boy Scouts wasn't cool enough.  My brother lost a number of friends over the years because of his involvement in Boy Scouts.  They didn't see the person my brother was to become.  The young man my brother is today is one of integrity and respect.  Sure he's a total goofball, but he knows what's what.  He has a good head on his shoulders.  He's following in the footsteps of the older scouts who have gone before him.

My brother has a lot ahead of him.  At the risk of sounding cliche, there's no substitute for character.  It's something that you either have or you don't.  It's something that can help you no matter what career you choose, no matter what job you have.  Well, thanks in part to Boy Scouts, my brother has character.

Thank you, Boy Scouts of America.

4 more days to Thanksgiving!

Signed,

RF

No comments:

Post a Comment